|These articles have been posted here to assist breeders in their efforts to produce healthy litters. To the general public we would like to say, the dog breeding and exhibiting world is devoted to the production of the healthiest puppies, in mind and body, that is possible , given the state of the art. And, the state of the art is progressing rapidly, with genetic testing for inherited defects already available, in some cases, and soon to be available in others. As a veterinarian, I am occasionally upset by the depiction in the general press of breeders exploiting their dogs, and uncaringly producing puppies with genetic defects. Nothing could be further from the truth.|
However, there are also people who produce puppies who are not "BREEDERS AND EXHIBITORS". Uncaring puppy mill operators who sell to pet stores, and careless back yard breeders do not qualify as true DOG BREEDERS. If you'd like to read more on this subject, visit the The KENNEL JOURNAL pages, where additional topics of interest to the Dog Fancy can be found. When people are bred as carefully as we breed our dogs, human kind will have made progress, indeed!
SAMPLE PUPPY QUESTIONAIRE
The following questions are being asked of you so that the right puppy and the right placement of each puppy is made by bringing the various requirements of both the puppy and his or new owner(s) into perspective, BEFORE a choice is made. I hope you will agree that the animal's welfare must be my foremost consideration in considering a placement. Please answer the following questions as completely as you can, and return this form when you've finished.
- Name: Address: Phone (home): work:
- Referred by:
- What reference materials have you read? How many individuals of this breed are you acquainted with?
- Type of dwelling: house condo apartment mobile home
- If renting, please give name and address of landlord:
- Name, address and phone number of your veterinarian:
- Who will be the primary care giver?
- Where will the puppy be kept during the night?
- Where will the puppy be kept during the day?
- Is anyone home during the day?
- How many hours on the average will the puppy be left alone?
- Will there be someone available to feed and exercise the puppy during the day?
- Have you ever owned a dog before?
- Do you have any other animals?
- Do you have any children? If yes, what are their ages.
- Does anyone in your household have allergies to animals?
- If yes, to what and how severe?
- Are you interested in a male or female puppy?
- At what age do you wish to get the puppy?
- Have you considered an older dog instead of a puppy?
- How did you bear about this breed?
- What do you expect the activity level of this breed to be: very high high moderate below average
- What kind of floor surfaces will the dog be on in the house?
- How many hours a day will the puppy be kept outside?
- How will he be confined when he is outside?
- Do you have a fenced yard or suitable pen?
- Have you ever house trained a dog before?
- How long have you lived at this address?
- Will you be attending any training classes?
- If yes, at what age will you start, which activities or competitions are you interested in, who is the trainer?
- How long did your last pet live? What were the circumstances of its' death?
- Have you ever returned a pet to the breeder? If so, what were the circumstances?
- Have you ever given a pet away? If so, what were the circumstances?
- Have you ever taken a pet to a pound or shelter? If so, what were the circumstances?
- Are you interested in showing the dog in the conformation ring?
- Have you ever shown a dog to it's championship?
- Are you interested in competition in performance events such as obedience, agility, hunting, herding, etc.?
- Have you shown a dog to any performance titles?
- Do you intend to breed the dog?
- Do you understand the difference between a limited registration and a full registration?
THE SHOW DOG SUPER SITE
BREEDER VET INDEX
Copyright © 1998 Mica Media
All rights reserved. No part of these collective
pages may be reproduced or copied without express written permission of
the author. Copying any part of the lists of links, resources or other
material for internet or other publication anywhere else is specifically
prohibited. Permission to quote one or two sentences for purposes of review
is granted where full credits and URL are cited.