|NEW REVISED 2003 PUPPY BUYER CONTRACT
As usual, this contract is meant to provide you with some ideas for you to use in drawing up a Puppy Sales Contract for your own kennel. The authors and ShowDogSuperSite.com make no claims as to the legality of this contract. You should take any contract you develop to your attorney for their input if you wish to make a contract you know will be legally enforceable.
This rather extreme contract reflects several undesirable outcomes of puppy agreements that have lately been experienced by reputable breeders. They reflect the changes in our society and its ever increasingly litigious nature, and the venality of humans, who, unfortunately, are not dogs.
Date of Sale:____________________ Date of Delivery____________________________DESCRIPTION OF PUPPY OR DOG:
Terms: Outright purchase _________________ Co-ownership______________________
Registration: Full________________________ Limited_________________________
Balance paid:__________________ Date:_________________ (Balance due on delivery).
Breed - (Your Breed) Sex______ (Preference: M F Either ) Color:
DOB:______________ Puppies must be 8 weeks or older before delivery.
Litter/Registration Number ____________________
Call Name:___________________________ OFA#_______________________________
Call Name: ___________________________ OFA#______________________________
§ See pedigree attached.
PROPOSED USE OF PUPPY/PUPPY/DOG:
- This puppy/dog is a purebred (Breed). This puppy/dog is of typical temperament and structure, and embodies the basic standards of the (Your Breed) breed.
- The pedigree furnished is correct.
- The puppy/dog is: registered _________ registerable ________ with the AKC.
- The registered name is / will be __________________________________ OR
- The kennel prefix “Your Kennel Name” must (be used as the first word of the
registered name) or (be used in the name).
- AKC Registration papers will be filled out after the sale is complete, and will be
forwarded to the Buyer when they have been returned by the AKC.
- The registration is full _______ or limited________. Puppies sold on limited registration may not be shown in AKC conformation shows or bred. The Buyer’s understanding and acceptance of this condition is signified here by his/her initials:____________________ Date:________________
- The purchase price of this puppy/dog will be refunded if the Buyer furnishes the Seller with a veterinary certificate indicating that the puppy/dog is unwell or unsound, and returns the puppy/dog to the Seller within 72 of delivery. No veterinary or shipping costs will be reimbursed by the Seller.
- If the Buyer has paid by check, the purchase price will be refunded only if or
when the Buyer’s check has cleared and been credited to the Seller’s account.
- The puppy/dog’s sire and dam are both OFA certified as free of hip dysplasia, and comes from many generations of puppy/dogs also free of hip dysplasia. The puppy/dog is expected to be free of hereditary crippling hip dysplasia, however, no guarantee of such is or can be made, or intended herein.
- The puppy/dog is healthy at the time of sale and has had the immunizations enumerated in the § attached health record.
- If at any time the Buyer is unable to keep or care for the puppy/dog, it must be returned to the Seller. The puppy/dog may not be transferred or sold by the Buyer. The Buyer’s understanding and acceptance of this condition is signified here by his/her initials:____________________ Date:________________
The Seller will endeavor to place any returned puppy/dog as advantageously as possible. If a purchase price is obtained for the puppy/dog, it will be refunded to the original Buyer, less any costs of placement. If the puppy/dog is placed free of charge, no money will be returned to the original Buyer. No veterinary or other costs of keeping the puppy/dog, or any other costs incurred by the Buyer resulting from his/her ownership of the puppy/dog, will be paid by the Seller to the original Buyer of the puppy/dog under any circumstances.
Seller in no way guarantees that this puppy/dog shall win in conformation and/or performance events.
- Seller agrees to provide advice and information on showing and grooming to the best of her ability, to help the Buyer of a show or performance potential puppy/dog to present the puppy/dog to its best potential.
- If the Seller determines by any means that the puppy/dog is not being suitably cared for or that it has been mentally or physically mistreated, Seller has the right to take full possession of the dog and its properly signed AKC transfer papers/registration, without compensation. The Seller’s opinion is the only authority required to justify this action. Testimony of other people will not supercede the Seller’s judgement on this matter. Under such circumstances, all warranties are then VOID.
No other warranties or guarantees, expressed or implied, are made under this contract except as stated above.
Signed by Seller:____________________________________
Buyer agrees that if at any time, and for any reason, he/she is unable to
keep or properly care for the puppy/dog, it shall be returned to the Seller and to no one else. The Buyer’s understanding and acceptance of this condition is signified here by his/her initials:____________________ Date:________________
- The Buyer agrees to maintain the puppy/dog’s health with yearly vaccinations as specified by their veterinarian.
- Should the puppy/dog become ill or unsound, any and all costs of treatment will be the responsibility of the Buyer.
- The Buyer agrees to keep the puppy/dog in appropriate lean weight so as to maximize the puppy/dog’s soundness and longevity.
- The Buyer agrees to feed only those puppy/dog foods acceptable to the Seller, and in particular, agrees not at any time to feed the puppy/dog a ‘raw’, ‘BARF’, vegetable, or home-cooked diet.
- The Buyer agrees to contact the Seller about any changes to the puppy/dog’s diet, and to abide by the Seller’s decision in regard to any change in food. The Buyer’s acceptance of this condition is signified here by his/her initials:_________________ Date:________
- The Buyer agrees to socialize, train and keep the puppy/dog in a manner acceptable to the Seller.
- If at any time the Seller finds that the puppy/dog is being kept, treated or allowed to behave in a manner not acceptable to him/her, the Buyer agrees to surrender the puppy/dog, (and all of its registration documents, with ownership transfer properly signed), to the Seller.
- The Buyer agrees to allow the Seller access to the puppy/dog, and to the premises where it is kept, to evaluate the condition therein.
- Buyer of both pet and show/breeding puppies shall obtain OFA hip certification (Penn Hip is not acceptable) as soon as possible after the puppy/dog reaches 24 months of age. This will help us to continue to provide the healthiest, happiest, and soundest pets possible
- Buyer agrees not to sue Seller and to pay any and all court /attorneys fees incurred by the Seller should any suit be brought against the Seller in regard to this puppy/dog by any person. Buyer signifies acceptance of this condition by initialing here:_________________ Date:_______
- Buyer acknowledges that special coat care, conditioning, training and feeding are necessary to produce a competitive (Breed) in conformation and performance events. This care and training is acknowledged by the Buyer to be his/her responsibility.
- Buyer agrees that any (dog or bitch) being bred to this (Breed) shall be approved by the Seller. All breedings must be done by contract, and any dog/bitch bred to this (Breed) must have OFA hip certification of good or better, and any other health clearances requested by the Seller or typical for the breed.
- No bitch shall be bred to this male (Breed) except by artificial insemination unless Seller approves pre-breeding medical workup results for the bitch to be so bred. Please refer to the Pre-Breeding Exam for the Bitch article for appropriate testing of the bitch prior to breeding.
- Buyer agrees to make this male (Breed) available to the Seller for breeding at no cost, and not to castrate this male puppy/dog. OR
- Buyer agrees to consult the Seller over any and all matters dealing with the reproductive system of this female (Breed). This bitch may not be spayed, even for medical reasons, prior to consulting a suitable canine reproductive veterinarian.
Special agreements pertaining to the purchase of thispuppy/dog are listed below:
Signed by Buyer:__________________________________________ Date:__________
1. Witnessed by:_____________________________________________ on this
date: ________________ at ______________________________________________
2. Witnessed by:_____________________________________________ on this
date: _________________ at:__________________________________________